Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Teacher Report Card

At the end of each school year, I like to take time to myself and reflect on my teaching. What worked. What didn't. What I should do again next year. What I should definitely NOT do again next year.  I find that one of my most helpful ways of doing this, is having my students actually reflect on our time in class as well.

Teacher Report Card
The last week of school I provide my students with what I like to call their Teacher's Report Card.  My students love this - the thought of giving their teacher a grade makes them absolutely giddy inside.  Yes....5th graders can get giddy too.  For the most part, I find that the students are very honest but respectfully so.  The fact that they don't put their name on it, helps them reflect with an open mind and be truthful. Some will even go so far as to write with their other hand. But for me, it's not about figuring out who wrote it but about what they said.

I make a point of not reading these reports until the end of the school year is over.  Well actually I'll be honest.....it's typically a few weeks after school is over with a delightful beverage in hand.  Every year, some students says something that sticks with me and makes me rethink the things I do in my classroom.

You can check out my form here.  Feel free to use and adjust it to suit your own needs. 

It's truly my belief that my students help make me a better teacher and in turn, I hope I make them better people too.  Do you do something like this at the end of the year?  Comment below and let me know.




13 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I loved this!
    http://seabearskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did something SO much like this with my class last week! :) http://luckeyfrogslilypad.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-teachers-report-card-for-end-of.html

    Definitely interesting to read, and the kids loved the idea of it being a 'report card.'

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your post! It is a lot of fun and always makes for good reading too. haha

      Delete
  3. I hope you received a good grade! I did one recently with my class too...
    http://alwaysalesson.com/2012/05/15/a-great-teacher-is/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have three weeks so my students haven't graded me yet. Happens next week. Hope they are in a good mood. haha

      Great post!

      Delete
  4. I did this with my first class of 8th graders. I loved the idea of it, but 8th graders aren't quite as nice and respectful as 5th graders are. :-/ In any case, I'd love to try this again when I get my own elementary classroom again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine. :-/ The first class I taught at my current school is in our graduating 8th grade class. I always shake my head in amazement at them....no longer my sweet wanting to please 5th graders. Still great kids but I could definitely see them not being as respectful grading me.

      Delete
  5. Katie, I love this!!! I definitely want to try it with my 4th grade class this year!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Katie. I really should do something like this. Just reading the Words of Advice the kids are giving the next year's class has been reflective for me as a teacher. I can only imagine what a report card would be.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! Your Words of Advice sounds like a great idea - we have move up day coming up. I may just have to visit your store and pick up a copy of it to use.

      Delete
  7. I am TOTALLY stealing this! What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful idea!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Lara
    Organized Teaching Addict
    orgteachingaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...