In case you don't already know, Edmodo is an online learning platform which allows you to build classes and provide students (and parents) with individual logins. According to Edmodo's website,
"Edmodo provides a safe and easy way for your class to connect and collaborate, share content, and access homework, grades and school notices. Our goal is to help educators harness the power of social media to customize the classroom for each and every learner."
Seriously - by reading that, what's not to love? :-)
When you create an account with Edmodo, you have the ability to create as many classes as you want. So for example, I can (and in the past have) create different classes for Social Studies, Math, Science, Writing and so on. Or if you teach multiple groups, you can create classes and have only a select group of kids join. Seriously, the possibilities seem endless. Oh....and have I mentioned the best part yet???? IT'S FREE!!!!!
|A teacher view.|
Let's review some 10 of Edmodo's capabilities. They have much more than 10, but we'll start there.
|# 5 - Built in quiz creator!|
2. You can allow parents to login to the classes you create for students or you can even create one for just parents and communicate with them.
3. You can assign and collect assignments and provide due dates which show up on the built in calendar.
4. You can create polls!
|# 6. An example of my library.|
6. You can build a library of documents and websites and share them with students.
7. You can award "badges" to your students. (I haven't done this yet but the ideas seem endless.)
8. You can join communities with other educators. I enjoy visiting these and sharing ideas with other educators. Plus, I have found many great websites from this awesome community!
9. Edmodo hosts webinars all the time to help educators maximize this site.
10. They have a great app, so you can access this site even on the go. This helps a lot because my students use this website as a means to communicate with me. I have the ability to quickly respond back if needed.
Again, Edmodo can do so much more....these are just the basics. If you haven't checked them out, I highly encourage you to do so. And, in my opinion it's not just for upper grades. I envision primary grades using this as a way to communicate with parents. Perhaps even more!
If you use Edmodo, what are some ways you utilize it? Share down below in the comments section.